It's been interesting hearing a few of the responses

  • It's been interesting hearing a few of the responses over the years from individuals as to what occurred with Zeah. I think for the simplest explanation, a lot of it can be OSRS gold boiled down to the team biting off more than they could chew, coupled with a lack of experience with the kind of design work that was needed for such an undertaking.

    The squareness of this seemed to stem from appearing too heavily at the map & extrapolating runs off out that basically everything in Zeah was square. While, surethere are places around the game world that look like that, the majority of it occurred out of necessity. I believe the mapping tools could load 1 map square so that resulted in a style style emerging. Both during the Classic era when the Gowers would attempt to squeeze as much material into a single map square as possible then even more so throughout the first RS2 era they would often have multiple projects on the move concurrently, using different map markers delegated to different devs/projects. Each job tried to increase the space they got in their respective map squares and so, a lot of projects ended up looking square since they filled to the borders.

    Zeah was a large blank canvas with one cohesive design eyesight (or at least it ought to have been) so should not have had to feel restricted when it comes on how content has been implemented by carefully off boxing things. And that's what occurred. On top of that the worldbuilding was non-existent and no effort was made to guarantee the game world worked from an MMO standpoint.There was also this early impression given from the OSRS group of these needing Zeah to be this enormous visually striking location that provided them with a big figure to boast about;"a massive 50% landmass growth!!! Wow!!!", but fundamentally failed to fill it. Which was particularly true - Zeah was as wide as an ocean with about as much depth as a puddle. And quite literally too, considering there wasn't a level in the continent.

    And when it comes to content that was there, well, that didn't exactly elicit pleasure or excitement. With so much content focussing on the areas of the game. Another misguided look at what has been traditionally RuneScapey by incorporating pointlessly grindy things via the favour system (thinking the grind itself was players appreciated about grinding), then giving the player no feeling of satisfaction for really"completing" a grind, since you'd only automatically lose the 20 percent of everything you had gained access to in case you wanted to try any of the other 80 percent of content there. In spite of the system enhancements, I wouldn't predict the favour gameplay that riveting, from pushing on fastest way to earn money in runescape ploughs, discovering books, digging salt. Sure they're all somewhat simple, traditional RuneScapey activities, but tradition for tradition's sake doesn't always deliver the outcomes or in this situation gameplay.